Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Question Zombies in Fantasy?

I have read a few fantasy books with zombies in them, and I am hoping to find more!! I love zombie movies and really enjoy seeing them in my favorite books.

-There are zombies in Piers Anthony's Xanth series but they are not flesh eating or dangerous , therefore boring.
    -I really enjoyed Christie Golden's "Dance of the Dead".
    -Also Kate Forsyth's "Rhiannon's Ride" has a brief encounter with zombies which was enough to get my heart racing!

-After a search on this forum I seen
    George Mann's "Affintity Bridge"
    Max Brooks "World War Z"
    I will probably read these two but I prefer to find ones in a fantasy setting.

-Also I found
    Tim Power's "On stranger tides" Which really sounds good, I like sea-faring adventures!
    And a reference on Martin's books containing zombies, would anyone know more about which of his books has them in it?

Not to sound greedy but I'm hoping someone will know of more fantasy novels with zombies!?!?! Necromancy is quickly becoming a popular subject so I am always on the lookout!

Martin does, indeed, have zombies in his ASoIaF series. I'm currently reading it and there has already been a brief encounter with them in A Clash of Kings. I'm only about halfway through the book, so I'm sure they'll be popping up again, if not in this book, then in one of the following books. I don't know if they're going to play a huge role or not though, if that's what you're looking for. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

As for other novels with zombies, the Xanth series is the only other fantasy I've read which features them, which you already mentioned, and I agree with your sentiments about them.

weightless astronaut
    Not read it yet, but I believe Richard Morgan has incorporated a form of Zombie into the Steel Remains.

The infection method sounded novel, to me anyway...

A bit lateral to the topic: I've heard that Lucius Shepard's first novel, Green Eyes, is an s.f. novel dealing with zombies.

Randy M.

there are zombie-like creatures in robin hobbs first fitz trilogy (farseer)

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    James Barclay's Shout for the Dead has zombies of a sort; you might need to read Cry of the Newborn first though (it's a duology.)

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dirvani View Post
    Martin does, indeed, have zombies in his ASoIaF series. I don't know if they're going to play a huge role or not though, if that's what you're looking for.
    I dont mind if they just make a short appearance or the book centers around them, either way is fine!!

Thanks for all the info so far everyone!!

Okay, if you don't mind short appearance or long, that gives you more options. When you say a fantasy setting, do you mean only a pre-industrial secondary world sort of thing, or any type of fantasy? Because the contemporary fantasy writers use zombies quite frequently, along with vampires, werefolk, demons, ghosts, witches, fairies, etc.

Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides is a historical fantasy novel set in the Caribbean (written long before the Pirate movies,) and it has zombies, ghosts, pirates, and lots of other stuff you'd probably like. Definitely a must-read for the zombie lover. In George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, the zombies are the central problem of the series and done exactly as you like them, but they aren't on stage that much. It's a big secondary world epic series, about an imaginary world but modeled loosely on British history. World War Z is set up as science fiction, but it is a classic zombie tale told as a pseudo-oral history work, and it is brilliant IMO.

Glen Cook's Garrett P.I. series, a satirical fantasy mystery series, sometimes has zombies in it, but I'm not sure I remember which ones specifically. Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake contemporary series has her heroine have a job raising zombies and lots of stuff on zombies. One of the mysteries even focuses on a deadly zombie. Fair warning, though, after the first few titles in the series, it plunges into erotica and the zombies and Blake's job take a back seat to vampires and such.

You should also check out the Horror forum -- they may have more suggestions.

I LOVED this book. I cannot wait for the movie to come out. Here is my review of it:

http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/i...eviews/info/34

If you go to Amazon and search for this book they give you the titles of a whole host of newish zombie literature. Wellington's books are OK. The concept is cool, and he evolves the zombie myth pretty well. But they are not written very well. I also loved Cell, by Stephen King. Its the best thing he has written in years. Here is my review of that:

http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/i...eviews/info/16

Keep of Fire

Mark Anthony's "The Keep of Fire" (Book 2 of his Last Rune series) has zombie-like creatures (animals and people) infected by a Burning Plague that straddles both Earth and the alternate world of Eldh. The Last Rune is a pretty good series overall, though it tends to run a little too long (6 volumes total) and exhausts its premise toward the latter books.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    You should try this new anthology, The Living Dead:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Dead-St...2937249&sr=1-3

Lots of big authors contributing.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    I would like to see more zombies in fantasy... I am a fan of the zombie (World War Z was amazing, and I'm a Romero fan) and would like read a fantasy zombie book.

I've got some great ideas for them myself, but sadly I'm an ideas man and not a writer!

I do remember that Pools of Radiance (a Forbidden Realms book) had some kinda of zombie type creatures... may have been refered to a ghouls.

Barclay's "A Shout for the Dead" does have zombies, not the flesh eating kind, but still the walking dead. Pretty good really - would like more of the same!

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    You could try David Moody's Autumn series, I believe the first book is a free download on his web site.
    I've read or tried to read these books. They are self published and I do feel suffer from the lack of a real editor. I'm sure the books are copyeditied and proof read, but without an editor acting on behalf of a publisher, I think the author can get away with stuff they wouldn't normally.

I wasn't overly impressed. The first book starts off alright and reminded me of an English Night of the Living Dead, but before long I could see how the story was going to develop.

The next three books sounded more interesting, but I just couldn't get past the writers prose.

World War Z is a great book though. Looking forward to see how it transfers to the big screen. I think I'd like to see smaller stories like those told in WWZ rather than massive global ones. I'd also like to see fantasy zombie stories or historical ones.

I don't know if you're familiar with the imprint Abaddon Books. One of their series is called Tomes of the Dead and is all about zombie novels. Till now they have published these zombie novels :

Devil's Plague (set in 17th century civil war England)

Words of their Roaring (zombies overrun modern day London)

Death Hulk (19th century Napoleontic wars zombie novel)

Anno Mortis (zombies loose in Caligula's Rome).

For more information you can go to www.abaddonbooks.com

Abaddon books is a fairly new imprint who specialize in action/adventure fantasy/science fiction. So don't expect the next Gene Wolfe or Neil Gaiman here but I've read some of their other novels and they're OK for a quick easy read.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Barclay's "A Shout for the Dead" does have zombies, not the flesh eating kind, but still the walking dead. Pretty good really - would like more of the same!
    Sadly (but I did try!) there are no plans at the moment for further Ascendants novels.

(Oh, and admin point: threads merged.)

Mark / Hobbit
    Last edited by Hobbit; October 3rd, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Mark